Tuesday 26 August 2014

Raw "Spaghetti & Meatballs"


My all time favourite comfort food was anything to do with pasta whether it was carbonara, marinara, meatballs, cannelloni or just even the simplest of things like pasta with pesto. But it got a bit out of hand where I was eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The amount of carbs I was putting into my body with no exercise made me gain 20kgs which I didn't realise until someone pointed it out to me. That day when that person pointed out my horrible eating habits was around 3 months ago now and ever since then I have been raw vegan and haven't looked back. The thought of that many carbs and fat going into my body sickens me now.


But when being raw vegan there is no missing out on that food that you always used to eat, no way I wouldn't allow it. These meatballs were a test on my cheap dehydrator to see if it actually worked because the first time I tried it, it failed. But to my disbelief and surprise it worked amazingly. The meatballs were firm on the outside but moist in the middle and tasted amazing!!! If you closed your eyes and ate this without knowing it was raw vegan you would think it was proper spaghetti and meatballs, its that good and that yummy!!

Raw "Spaghetti & Meatballs"

Meatballs:
1 cup dried tomatoes 
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4 cup hempseeds
3 cups button mushrooms
1 tsp each dried basil and oregano
1 tsp fennel seed
1 Tbsp white miso
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
sea salt to taste
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped

Sauce:
4 large tomatoes, diced 
1 cup dried tomatoes, soaked for 30 minutes and drained well
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup fresh basil
sea salt to taste

6 medium zucchinis, peeled lengthways into noodle (1 zucchini per person)

To make the meatballs, place the dried tomatoes in a high speed blender or food processor and grind to a powder.  Add to a food processor along with the  carrots, onion, garlic, flax, hemp, mushrooms, herbs, miso, nutritional yeast and sea salt and blend until well combined. Add the walnuts and pulse until everything is finely chopped.  Shape the mixture into small 1 inch meatballs, and place on a lined dehydrator sheet.  Dry for about 8 hours until firm.  
Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, combine tomatoes, the sun dried tomatoes, the garlic, basil and sea salt and blend until smooth. 

Place zucchini in a bowl, top with tomato sauce and meatballs and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment