Saturday 23 August 2014

Raw Sushi with Corn Hummus


I was introduced to normal sushi at a very young age and from the first bite I absolutely loved it. When I wasn't vegan I was a huge fan of seafood, I loved everything except muscles and oysters but give me a spaghetti marinara for dinner and I would gobble it up. My favourite sushi bar was Sushi Sushi, there sushi was always freshly made and perfectly rolled. One of the things I missed most when turning raw vegan was a good California roll until I found out that I could make raw sushi.


For one of my birthday's my brother's girlfriend (now ex girlfriend) gave me a sushi kit which had everything in it to make the perfect sushi roll. It sat up in the cupboard for years and years because I never made my own sushi I always bought it until I became raw vegan and discovered raw sushi that is when the kit came in very handy. It took a while to master the art of rolling sushi especially because it was raw so it didn't have the sticky rice to hold it together. But I managed to master it very quickly and now I can make the perfect raw sushi. If you do not have a sushi kit like I do I do recommend investing in a bamboo sushi mat, it helps with the rolling of the sushi and makes them come out perfectly cylindrical. 


What I love about raw sushi there are so many choices of fillings, the possibilities are endless. For the rice you can make corn hummus, parsnip rice, sprouted hummus, really anything that sticks together will work as replacement for the sticky rice normal sushi uses. And as for the fillings, any raw veggies work perfectly just make sure they are thinly cut into thin sticks so its easy to roll up and not too bulky.

Raw Sushi with Corn Hummus

Corn "hummus":
1 1/4 cups fresh organic sweet corn
1 cup raw cashews (soaked 2 hours and drained)
sea salt to taste
1 garlic clove

Filling choices:
Zucchini, cut julienne
Carrot, cut julienne
Sundried tomatoes
Spinach
Cucumber, cut julienne

6 nori wraps

To make the hummus, place all hummus ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, set aside for later on.

To assemble the rolls, place 1 piece of nori on your bamboo mat (shiny side down) and spread about 3 tbsp of the hummus along the edge closest to you. Next, place your fillings in a line on top of the hummus. Next roll it up, pulling it towards you as you roll to tighten the roll, wet the edge with water to make the nori stick together to seal the sushi roll and set aside.

Repeat as many times as your hummus lasts. Cut each roll into desired size. Enjoy! Store in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment